Cake Break launch – a true Yorkshire Cake!
April 1, 2016
A true Yorkshire Victoria Sandwich
To celebrate the launch of Cake Break, we’ve put together an extra special cake recipe that will get Yorkshire tastebuds jumping for joy. Let us know if you enjoy yours as much as we enjoyed ours!
- 8oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 8oz caster sugar
- 1 onion
- 4 medium eggs
- 1lb minced beef
- 8oz self raising flour
- Henderson’s Relish
- milk, to loosen
- 600g icing sugar, sifted
- 300g unsalted or salted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Grease and line 2 x 7in cake tins with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Chop the onion finely and fry in a pan with a dash of Henderson’s Relish.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little extra milk if necessary, to create a batter with a soft dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula.
- Add the minced beef to the pan of fried onions, cook until browned. Add more Henderson’s to taste.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and peel off the paper. Place onto a wire rack.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter together, adding Henderson’s Relish, until smooth. Add in the beef and onion mixture. Fill a piping bag with a star nozzle smear in the middle of the cake using a palette knife.
Remember, if you’re short of Henderson’s Relish – we have our own available at the Centre or at The Famous Sheffield Shop on Ecclesall Road!