October 30, 2015
The story of Tapton Hall has been woven into the history of Sheffield since the eighteenth century when TAPTON HOUSE was the home of the Shore family, including Mary Shore, grandmother of Florence Nightingale who was accustomed to visiting the house.
In 1855 the Sheffield steelmaster Edward Vickers built TAPTON HALL on the same site and in 1867 it became the home of George Wilson of Wilson’s Snuff fame. By 1965 the Sheffield Masonic Hall Company had acquired the house, completely refurbished it, and in 1967 added the architect designed extension. This great house has for three centuries been an integral part of the Sheffield landscape. Its distinguished history has seen it serve as a home to great names and a witness to great events.